Strawberry season is the perfect reason to make this delicious dessert! As if we really needed a reason to gobble this up. It’s a southern twist on a strawberry shortcake using a delicious buttermilk biscuit. You can use the kind from a can or for the ambitious you can try the homemade biscuit recipe too!
- 2 –1 lb. baskets of strawberries, hulled, halved (or quartered if very large; should yield about 7 cups)
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons raspberry preserves
- 1 cup chilled whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Buttermilk Biscuits (pre-made, we used canned biscuits but here is a link to a recipe for homemade biscuits)
- Powdered sugar
- Combine strawberries, 1/2 cup sugar and raspberry preserves in a large bowl; toss to coat. Let stand until syrup forms, tossing occasionally, about 1 hour.
- Beat chilled whipping cream, vanilla extract and remaining 3 tablespoons sugar in another large bowl until stiff peaks form. (Can be made 6 hours ahead. Cover separately and chill.)
- Cut Buttermilk Biscuits in half. Place each biscuit bottom in a shallow bowl. Top each generously with strawberries and whipped cream. Cover fruit and cream with biscuit tops. Dust biscuits with powdered sugar and serve.
Recipe and photo from www.epicurious.com