Did you know that North Carolina is the number 1 sweet potato producing state in the US?
That’s right! Since the 1970s North Carolina has produced over 50% of all sweet potatoes sold in the US. The rich soil and humid climate are the perfect setting for sweet potatoes.
So grab some North Carolina sweet potatoes and make some of this delicious soup (and don’t forget to serve with some great cornbread!)
Sweet Potato & Spinach Soup
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin oil
- ½ lbs lean ground turkey
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¾ cup yellow onion, diced
- ½ cup celery, diced
- ½ cup red pepper, diced
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 cup sweet potato, diced
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups spinach
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper
- In a large pot over high heat, add olive oil.
- When the pan and the oil are hot, turn the heat down to medium.
- Add ground turkey and garlic.
- Stir occasionally and cook for about 10 minutes or until turkey is cooked through.
- Add onions, celery, red peppers and dried parsley.
- Cook until onions are golden brown.
- Add the sweet potato and broth and bring it to a boil.
- Cook for about 10 to 15 mins.
- Add spinach, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper and cook for 5-10 minutes more.
- 2 (8 oz) boxes of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
- 1 (8 oz) can of yellow corn, drained
- 1.5 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- Mix cornbread as directed on package.
- Add in corn and cheese and stir until mixed.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.