There was never a single time that the Good Humor Ice Cream Truck came through our neighborhood and I didn’t get a Strawberry Shortcake Bar. Seriously, they are the best! Argue if you want but there is just no topping this one. I will debate the merits of the Strawberry Shortcake bar against a King Cone or a Choco Taco any day.
Now that we are adults we don’t have to wait for the ice cream truck to drive by, you can make a batch of these Strawberry Shortcake Bars yourself! And don’t forget to tell your 8-year-old self that you can even have them before dinner, because you’re an adult after all.
- 1 Box Vanilla Cake Mix
- 2 Eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil.
- 1 (3 oz.) package of strawberry jello mix.
- 1 (3 oz.) package vanilla instant pudding mix.
- 1/2 cup or 1 stick of softened unsalted butter.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour.
- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese.
- 1 cup powdered sugar.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- 1 (8 oz.) tub Cool Whip Topping. Make sure to let it thaw in the fridge.
How to Make Strawberry Shortcake Bars:
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line 9×9 cake pan with aluminum foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, with an electric or stand mixer, mix together the cake mix, eggs, and vegetable oil until blended and dough forms.
- Press dough evenly into prepared pan using a spatula. Bake for 20 minutes or till edges are lightly brown. Let cool completely before frosting.
How to Make Crumble Topping:
- In a small bowl blend the strawberry gelatin mix, 4 Tablespoons butter, and 1/2 cup bread. With a fork to mix ingredients together until crumble forms. In another small bowl, combine the vanilla pudding mix, 4 Tablespoons butter, and 1/2 cup flour. With a fork to mix ingredients together until crumble forms.
- Spread both the vanilla and strawberry crumble onto a lined cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Bake at 350F degrees for 10 minutes. *Assess crumble in 5 minutes, stirring so that the crumble does not burn. Place pan in the freezer for 10 minutes to cool down the crumble quickly to sprinkle on top of bars.
How to Make Frosting:
- In a large bowl, using an electric or stand mixer, mix together the cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and Cool Whip mixing on high until frosting is light and fluffy.
- Frost top of chilled bars and sprinkle a generous amount crumble on top. Cut into squares and enjoy!
Recipe and photo from WomensHealthRes.org