Summer is the perfect time for fresh from the garden ingredients. So browse your yard or your local farmer’s market and pick up some in-season Strawberries and some Rhubarb and whip up this delicious dessert. We like to serve it warm with a cold scoop of ice cream or fresh whipped cream, but you can cold or hot.
- 4 cups cut Rhubarb
- 4 cups quartered strawberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 box yellow or white cake mix
- 1 cup Sprite or 7Up Soda
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- Combine Strawberries, Rhubarb, and sugar in a bowl. Mix and set aside for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 425 Degrees.
- Drain all but 1/2 cup juice from fruit and sugar mixture.
- Combine the remaining fruit and 1/2 cup of juice with corn starch, vanilla, and salt.
- Lightly spray a 9X13 pan with baking spray and layer with the fruit filling.
- Sprinkle the cake mix on top.
- Pour the melted butter and a cup of soda on top. Do not stir.
- Bake for 25 minutes at 425 degrees.
- Lower the temperature to 350 degrees and cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Cook until the cake is golden and the rhubarb is soft.