This cake is a perfect way to celebrate the strawberry season! The outside crust is crispy while the inside is moist and deliciously sweet. Once you’ve mastered this recipe you can mix it up with blueberries or blackberries depending on what’s in season!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 14 ounces fresh strawberries hulled and sliced
- Set oven to 350F
- Lightly spray a 9 or 10-inch springform pan.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt and set aside.
- Mix the soft butter and sugar together in a stand mixer for 3-4 minutes, until light and fluffy. Scrape down the side of the bowl a couple of times.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, and then beat in the vanilla.
- Stir the sour cream and buttermilk together, and then add the flour to the mixing bowl alternately with the wet, beginning and ending with the flour. Mix until combined, but don’t over mix.
- Fold in the berries and turn into the prepared pan. Smooth out the top. Sprinkle the surface of the cake liberally with granulated sugar.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the cake no longer jiggles in the center and the top is golden and slightly crackled. The exact cooking time will depend on the pan size you use. You can insert a toothpick in the center to test.
- Let cool briefly, and then unlatch the spring and remove the outer ring. Cool completely on a rack before slicing.
Recipe and photo from theviewfromgreatisland.com