A Hot Toddy is the perfect southern drink for Fall and Winter.
It’s great for when you’re feeling a little under the weather or just looking to warm up on a chilly night.
You can use Rum, Whiskey, or Bourbon for an adult drink or use plain black tea or apple cider for a non-alcoholic option.
Either way a hot mug of this stuff will warm your bones from the inside out.
Southern Hot Toddy Recipe
- 6 ounces of boiling water or cider or water with a black tea bag
- 2 cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 to 2 ounces of whiskey bourbon, or rum
- Slice of lemon or apple for flavor
- Boil the water and add cloves, ginger, and cinnamon stick. Steep for 3-5 minutes. Add 2 oz. of your choice of alcohol or tea or cider. Add lemon juice and honey and re-heat either in microwave or on a stovetop. Garnish with a lemon or apple slice. Drink while it is hot. If the alcohol is too strong, add more honey or even a little bit of sugar to mask it.
- Other alcohol such as Brandy or Scotch can be used as a substitute.
- Enjoy with a nice warm blanket and maybe a fire!