With delicious fresh shrimp in abundance this time of year I often turn to one of my family’s favorite shrimp recipes – Shrimp Thermidor casserole style!
This has always been a great recipe to serve for family gatherings and when entertaining friends!
The basis for this recipe came from Good Housekeeping many years ago!
Shrimp Thermidor Casserole
- 1 Cup Rice I prefer brown, wild, or a mixture
- 6 tbsp Butter I use less!
- 1 lb Shrimp shelled and deveined
- 1 Cup Celery sliced thin
- 1/4 Cup Flour
- 1 Cup Half-and-Half
- 1/2 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook rice as directed and place in casserole dish keeping warm. In a medium skillet over medium high heat, cook shrimp and celery in the hot butter about 3 minutes or until shrimp are pink, while stirring. Lower heat to medium and stir in flour until well-blended. Then gradually stir in half-and-half, salt and pepper and cook until thickened, stirring constantly. Spoon this mixture over rice in the casserole dish, sprinkle cheese over the top. Bake 5 minutes in a preheated 450 degree oven until slightly bubbly. This makes about 4-5 servings. Perfect with a fresh garden salad! Enjoy!