When it’s cold outside we just want to bundle up and made hearty soups and this one is great for a chilly day. You can also serve it up a few ways, plain or over rice, this Shrimp and Sausage Gumbo will get you through winter with a smile.
- 1/4 cup Canola Oil
- 3 tablespoons Butter
- 1/2 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 cup finely chopped White or Yellow Onions
- 1 cup finely chopped Celery
- 1 cup finely chopped Green Bell Pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced Garlic
- 4 cups Vegetable or Shrimp Stock
- 1/2 cup crushed Tomatoes
- 1/2 cup Cajun Seasoning ( You can buy this pre-made or make it yourself *see below)
- 6 Andouille Sausages, cut diagonally
- 2 cups diced Okra
- 20 medium Shrimp
- Salt to taste
- Chopped Parsley for garnishing
Homemade Cajun Seasoning:
1 Tablespoon of each of the following: Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Salt, Paprika, Ground Black Pepper, Oregano, Thyme.
Optional for added spice: Cayenne Pepper, Red Pepper Flakes (Recommended 1/2 teaspoon of each)
- Heat oil and butter in a dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot and add flour. Cook the flour while stirring fairly regularly on medium heat for 20 minutes till it gradually deepens in color to the color of gravy. Keep stirring so that the flour doesn’t stick to the bottom or burn.
- Once the mix is browned to the right color, add the bay leaf, onions, celery, and green pepper and stir for two to three minutes till the onions are tender. Add garlic and slowly start adding shrimp stock while stirring continuously till the mixture thickens a little and comes to a boil.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes or tomato puree, cajun seasoning, and salt along with sausages and okra. Mix this well and bring this to a boil. Once the stew starts boiling, reduce the heat and cover and let it simmer for 15 minutes or till the okra is cooked.
- Add shrimp to the pot, simmer for 8-10 minutes and turn off the heat. Top with chopped parsley and serve hot.
Recipe inspiration and photo from myfoodstory.com