This is the cake you make when the preacher comes over for a visit, why you might ask? Because it’s so good it’ll buy your way into Heaven. Only kidding, but this cake is delicious and made with crushed pineapple, pecans, coconut, and a fluffy cream cheese frosting—so it might not be a first-class ticket to the pearly gates but it might get you a better seat on Sundays.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups of sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup of vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 20-ounce can crushed pineapple, with juice
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped pecans or walnuts, divided
- 1 cup flaked coconut (optional)
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- Sift together flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon; set aside.
- Combine sugar, eggs, oil, and vanilla and mix on medium-low speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Slowly mix in flour mixture until just combined.
- Add pineapple (undrained), 1 cup chopped pecans and coconut then continue mixing on medium-low speed until all ingredients are thoroughly combined (about 1 minute).
- Spray a 3-quart 13×9 baking pan with cooking spray. Pour cake batter into the pan and bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until cake is set in the center and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool cake completely in pan then the frost with Cream Cheese Frosting. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup chopped pecans over cake. Store in the refrigerator.