Here is a simple, classic recipe that you will want to turn to again and again after a great day walking on the beach or when you unexpectedly run into some friends whom you invite over to dinner on impulse and who accept the invitation just as unexpectedly.
You will probably have everything that you need except for the parsley and the basil. You may even have both of those on hand if you have planted an herb box or a garden just off the back steps.
If you don’t have them, you can just make a quick drive by shopping excursion at your local grocery store, and while there you might also want pick up some delicious crusty French bread and the items for making up a quick salad.
Recipe: Pasta & Clam Sauce
Pasta & Clam Sauce
- 2 10 oz cans whole clams in juice, undrained
- 12 oz uncooked linguine
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Garnish: fresh basil leaves
- Drain your clams and keep the juice.
- Cook reserved clam juice in a small skillet over medium heat 15 minutes or until reduced by half; set aside.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, and drain.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, add garlic, and cook until golden.
- Add reduced clam juice and parsley; cook 2 minutes or until parsley is tender.
- Stir in clams, wine, and basil, and cook 5 minutes or until wine has reduced by half.
- Add pasta and black pepper, tossing well to coat. Garnish, if desired. Serve immediately.