Those of us who are blessed to be living here on the North Carolina coast know that one of the best things about life by the sea is fresh local seafood – it is in abundance and plentiful.
We love all seafood but especially clams! This is one of our favorite seafood appetizer recipes.
Recipe: Clams Casino
- 2 dozen clams
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ¼ cup margarine or butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped pimento
- 1½ teaspoons Worcestershire
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- Rinse unshucked frozen clams under cold running water to remove any foreign particles.
- Shuck clams, reserving half of the shells for use in the recipe as small baking receptacles.
- Scrub the reserved shells and boil in water for 2 minutes. Remove the shells from the boiling water and drain.
- Preheat oven to 425 degree F.
- Fry bacon until crisp.
- Add remaining ingredients except clams and white wine.
- Cook until onion is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add wine; remove from heat.
- Place clams in reserved shells.
- Arrange shells in a shallow baking pan.
- Pour wine mixture over clams.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes.