Here’s a recipe for a tasty Clam Chowder perfect for a hearty meal for lunch or dinner.
Made ahead, this chowder is the perfect solution for entertaining large groups of family or friends.
- 1 quart coarsely chopped chowder clams
- 1/4 pound salt pork, sliced
- 1-quart water
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups diced potatoes
- 1 cup instant potato flakes for thickening (optional)
- In a large saucepan, fry pork over medium heat until crisp.
- Remove pork and discard.
- Add clams, water, onion, salt and pepper to pan.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and cook slowly until clams are tender about 1 1/2 hours.
- Add potatoes and onion, and cook until potatoes are done, about 20 minutes.
- Add mash potatoes and simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes.
Serves 10 to 12.