The Pier-2-Pier Swim Race held on September 12, 2020 features an open water challenge of 1.7 miles between Johnnie Mercers Pier and Crystal Pier in Wrightsville Beach, NC. The starting point for the race is determined on race day in accordance with the ocean current. This event is free for spectators.
The Pier-2-Pier Swim Race (in memory of Ryan Alea Young) is an annual open water ocean swim race at beautiful Wrightsville Beach, NC, and is hosted by the CAPE FEAR AQUATIC CLUB and the Wilmington Family YMCA.
The race course is ~ 2 miles between the Johnny Mercer and Crystal Piers (1.71 miles along the beach, plus the swim to and from the “dry” finish and start lines).
Special COVID-19 Precautions
This COVID-19 specific safety plan has been prepared to comply with the most up to date North Carolina COVID-19 Rules (currently Phase 2). Approximately 100 participants have signed up for the race as of August 12th. The Pier-2-Pier race is a 1.7-mile ocean swim race from Crystal Pier to Johnnie Mercers Pier.
- Packet pickup will be located at Toad Hollow Swim in Wilmington, NC the day before the race on Friday, September 11th. Packet pickup will be done outside of Toad Hollow following their specific social distance policy.
- Parking will be located at Wrightsville Beach Town Hall/Park. Bussing will not be provided and participants will either need to be dropped off or walk to the beginning of the race.
- Participants/ spectators will be required to wear face masks when Social Distancing is not possible (i.e. check-in and chip pick up) and while in line waiting on race start.
- There will be no body marking
- All YMCA staff and volunteers will wear face masks for the duration of the race and gloves when handing out chips/cutting chip ankle bands. One staff member will be paired with each pair of scissors when cutting excess chip ankle bands. YMCA race staff will remind athletes to social distance prior to race start and finish.
- Once arriving at race start, participants will be checked in (Hand sanitizer will be there upon arrival) and handed ankle mounted race chips, disposable face mask, and numbered plastic gear bags by YMCA race staff.
- Once checked in participants will place belongings into the provided gear bags. Gear bags will be placed in a truck and dropped off at race finish by YMCA race staff.
- At the finish area bags will be separated by a single staff member and spaced out for pick up.
- In the starting area, race participants (still in masks) will be directed into chutes designated with race numbers 1-25, 26-50, 50-75, etc. while maintaining 6-feet social distancing.
- During race start, groups of 25 will be directed to the starting line and will begin the race in a time trial format separated by 10 seconds maintaining required social distancing. Immediately before each participant starts, they will drop masks into the provided receptacle.
- Once a racer has completed the race, the YMCA staff will direct them to one of two finishing chutes where staff will remove the timing chip and receive bottled water. Participants will then be directed to their gear bag and provided a finisher award. Participants will leave the race finish area and walk back to their parking area. As there will be no awards presentation, the YMCA will be providing a finisher video and results online after the race.
- There will be no food table or food provided at the end of the race.
Parking & Chip Pick-Up:
All participants park at Wrightsville Beach Town Hall
Onsite Packet pickup: Saturday 7:00 am to 8:15 am.
Participants receive their timing chips and are body marked at this location (race number on hand only)
Registration: Price increases to $45.00 after September 8, 2020 at 5:00pm EDT