When the summer days are long and the sun doesn’t set until late it’s the perfect excuse for dessert and this one was made for summer. Light sponge cake with the flavors of citrus and sweet, creamy icing make this recipe a hit! So while you enjoy the extra hours of daylight throw a little dessert into the mix.
• 2 ¼ cups cake flour
• 1 ½ cups white sugar
• 1 tablespoon baking powder
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 5 egg yolks
• ½ cup vegetable oil
• ¾ cup orange juice
• 1 tablespoon orange zest
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 cup egg whites from about 8 large eggs
• ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
• ⅓ cup butter softened
• 1 ½ tablespoons orange zest
• 1 teaspoon lemon zest
• ¼ teaspoon salt
• 1 egg yolk
• 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
• 3 tablespoons orange juice
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 325F.
- In a medium-sized bowl, add the cake flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Whisk together and form a well in the middle.
- Add the egg yolks, oil, juice, zest, and vanilla and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the egg whites and cream of tartar. Using a handheld mixer, beat the egg whites until stiff.
- Using the same hand mixer, mix together the egg-flour-orange bowl until smooth.
- Fold the egg yolk batter into the bowl of egg whites, 1/4 at a time.
- Pour into an ungreased 12″ angel food/tube cake pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted. Invert pan while cooling. Remove from pan.
To make the icing: In a large mixing bowl, beat together all frosting ingredients until smooth. Frost cake all around and serve.
Recipe and photo from GoGoGoGourmet.com