On April 21st, 2018 join us for the Oak Island Lighthouse 5K, 10k and Half Marathon. Picturesque routes through tree-lined streets, along the beachfront and past the Oak Island Lighthouse. 1/2 Marathon route will include crossing the G.V. Barbee Bridge to Oak Island, twice.
The Oak Island Lighthouse Run & Walk began 19 years ago when Clarence Willie, a Chamber Board member, avid runner and retired U.S. Marine Lieutenant Colonel suggested the Southport-Oak Island Area Chamber of Commerce organize a 10k run/walk. The Chamber Board appointed Clarence Willie the Chair and with great enthusiasm, the first run was held on April 10, 1999.
- Arrive early on Saturday and participate in the Chalk Art at the Start from 6:00am-7: 00 am.
- Enjoy a race day stretch led by Ilene Evans, yoga instructor at 7:00 a.m. and again at 7:45 a.m.
- After your run enjoy your drink tokens with a beer from our local brewery, Check Six Brewery or take your token to one of the participating locations throughout our town.
- We invite our participants to help us celebrate our 20th run with a celebratory SnoBall.
- Half Marathon Finisher Medal is a 3-D medal featuring a sand dollar design.
We strive to make this event safe, fun, and enjoyable for all fitness levels. We hope you agree, the Oak Island Lighthouse 1 Mile Fun Run, 5k, 10k & 1/2 marathon courses showcase the best scenery on the North Carolina Coast. What other course can you see salt marshes, the Atlantic Ocean, wide beautiful beaches, and have a Lighthouse as a cheerleader?
Please check the run website for additional details www.oakislandlighthouserun.com