January 31st, is National Hot Chocolate Day! What could be better on a cold wintry day (or night) than a steaming hot cup of Hot Chocolate?
This traditional North American drink is instant, made from cocoa powder, sugar, and milk. Remember, hot chocolate was brought to America by the Dutch, who invented cocoa powder.
- Miniature marshmallows or sweetened whipped cream (optional)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup HERSHEY’S Cocoa
- Dash salt
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups (1 qt.) milk
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 1. Stir together sugar, cocoa and salt in medium saucepan; stir in water. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil. Boil and stir 2 minutes. Add milk; stirring constantly, heat to serving temperature. Do Not Boil.
- 2. Remove from heat; add vanilla. Beat with rotary beater or whisk until foamy. Serve topped with marshmallows or whipped cream, if desired. Five 8-oz. servings.
- VARIATIONS: Add one of the following with the vanilla extract:
- SPICED COCOA: 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon and 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg. Serve with cinnamon stick, if desired.
- MINT COCOA: 1/2 teaspoon mint extract OR 3 tablespoons crushed hard peppermint candy OR 2 to 3 tablespoons white creme de menthe. Serve with peppermint candy stick, if desired.
- CITRUS COCOA: 1/2 teaspoon orange extract OR 2 to 3 tablespoons orange liqueur.
- SWISS MOCHA: 2 to 2-1/2 teaspoons powdered instant coffee
- COCOA AU LAIT: Omit marshmallows or whipped cream. Spoon 2 tablespoons softened vanilla ice cream on top of each cup of cocoa at serving time.
- SLIM-TRIM COCOA: Omit sugar. Combine cocoa, salt and water; substitute nonfat milk. Proceed as above. With vanilla, stir in sugar substitute with sweetening equivalence of 1/2 cup sugar.
- CANADIAN COCOA: 1/2 teaspoon maple extract.
- MICROWAVE SINGLE SERVING: Combine 1 heaping teaspoon HERSHEY’S Cocoa, 2 heaping teaspoons sugar and dash salt in microwave-safe cup or mug. Add 2 teaspoons cold milk; stir until smooth. Fill cup with milk. Microwave at HIGH (100%) 1 to 1-1/2 minutes or until hot. Stir to blend; serve.