Hot, sweet, spicy, chicken wings—who could ask for anything more? Seriously though, chicken wings are great but combined with the sweet, cherry taste of Cheerwine and the spice of Texas Pete they are phenomenal. Bringing these two North Carolina classics, together in one recipe is the best North Carolina has to offer. And yes, Texas Pete is from right here in NC.
- 12 chicken wings
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cheerwine 12 oz can (reduce by ½)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- ½ cup Texas Pete hot sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat the deep fryer to 375 ⁰F.
- Pour the 1 can of Cheerwine into a small sauce pot along with the garlic and reduce by ½ at medium heat.
- Remove from heat and add the ½ cup of Texas Pete hot sauce along with the olive oil and mix well.
- Carefully place the chicken wings into the deep fryer and fry them for approximately 10-12 minutes or until golden brown, crispy and fully cooked with an internal temperature of 165 ⁰F.
- Remove them from the fryer and drain well.
- Season wings with salt and pepper and place them into a large mixing bowl. Toss them with the spicy Texas Pete and Cheerwine glaze. Serve immediately.
Recipe and photo from Cheerwine.com