There are more than 20 North Carolina lighthouses along our coast – one is the tallest in the United States! [Read more…]
Historic Southport is known for many things including its many wonderful festivals – but one festival you will definitely not want to miss is Winterfest!
Any of the many magical events offered by this year’s Winterfest are going to be a great way to start off the holiday season.
Every year both visitors and residents await the week of December when Southport’s holiday spirit abounds with the events of Winterfest
Kick off the holiday season with a week of celebration and events throughout the downtown area. Guests of all ages may enjoy live theater, a Nutcracker Tea Party, cookie contest, supper with Santa’s elves, view the “Polar Express,” step back in history with a costumed history tour, Christmas fire engine parade, Winter Craft Festival, book sale, DIY wreath workshop, Santa’s workshop, historic jail tour, Holiday Tour of Homes, and wrap up the week with the Christmas Flotilla.
For more information please visit the website.
- Christmas in Song – Christmas at the Amuzu, 111 N Howe St. at 7:30 p.m., $20
- December 1, 6, 7, 8 at 7:00pm
- Tuesday, Dec. 5th Holiday Cookie Contest – Southport Community Building, 223 E Bay St.
- December 5 3:00 – 5:00pm
- Wednesday, Dec. 6th Supper with Santa’s Elves – 209 N Atlantic Ave. from 5:00 – 7:00 p.m., $5 per child
- 5:00 – 7:00 p.m.
- -Christmas Movie “Polar Express” – Fort Johnston Garrison Lawn, 203 E Bay St.
- 5:00 – 8:00 p.m.
- Friday Dec.7th Costumed Holiday History Tour – NC Maritime Museum at Southport, 204 E Moore St. from 3:00 – 5:00 p.m.
Friday Dec.7th Light Up the Night Christmas Fire Engine Parade – Children will board the fire engines at the Southport Fire Station at 5:30pm Parade begins at 6:30pm. Parade route: Waterfront Park and down Howe Street back to the Southport Fire Station. Following the parade, children are invited to visit with Santa and will receive a gift!
- Winter Craft Festival – Saturday Dec. 8th at Franklin Square Park, 105 E Moore St. from 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Book Sale – Saturday Dec. 8th 727 N Howe St. from 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Santa’s Workshop – Saturday Dec. 8th 209 N Atlantic Ave from 10:00 – 11:00 a.m.
- Christmas Tour of Homes – historic downtown Southport from 1:00 – 6:00 p.m., $15 in advance, $20 day of tour.
- Southport Christmas Flotilla – waterfront viewing from the Yacht Basin to Kingsley Park beginning around 7:00 p.m.
Couples Getaway Package
Bring your significant other to the beach for a relaxing, renewing weekend of togetherness and adventure with our Couples Getaway Package at The Winds Resort Beach Club.
October 1, 2018, through March 7, 2019, the rate per person is from $198.50
- Two Night’s Accommodation*
- 1-hour massage: choice includes Spa’s Signature Massage or Swedish Massage.
- Tour the Silver Coast Winery with a wine tasting.
- Welcome basket for each room.
- Hot Southern Breakfast Buffet each day.
- Complimentary bikes to explore the island.
- Daily Housekeeping.
- Free Water Aerobic classes.
- Discounts to area restaurants and shops.
Two people in an oceanfront Jasmine Guest Room, Wisteria Mini Suite, Azalea Petite Suite or an Island View Camellia Guest Room.
Optional Add-Ons (Available Online):
1) Add a bottle of Champagne to have waiting in your room:
2) Add dinner for two at Roberto’s Italian Ristorante:
Dinner Includes Wine and Beer (2 Drinks per person), your choice of Steak, Seafood, or Pasta from The Winds Menu, Salad or Soup, Dessert, and Coffee. Reservations are available Tuesday through Saturday.
The 20th annual Battleship Half Marathon, 10K & Outdoor Equipped 5K will be a race to remember! They’re going all out to celebrate their 20th year and want you to be a part of this year’s race. They’ve been putting on this race for 20 years!
Plan your race-cation to Wilmington, NC for the 20th annual Battleship Half Marathon, 10K & Outdoor Equipped 5K and enjoy one of the best-undiscovered destination races in the country.
You’ll find enthusiastic fan support all along the course and be directed by our great volunteers as you run through historic downtown Wilmington and around picturesque Greenfield Lake.
Then as you head up the Memorial Bridge toward the 12-mile point you’ll be cheered on by the UNCW Dance Team encouraging you up and over that last bridge! The final quarter mile takes you in front of the Battleship North Carolina to a finish overlooking the Cape Fear River and downtown Wilmington.
- 20th annual Battleship themed half marathon finisher medal presented by US Marines in dress blue uniforms
- Packet pickup and Expo at the Embassy Suites on the riverfront in historic downtown Wilmington
- Free ticket to tour the Battleship to all runners ($14 value)
- Personalized race bib for first time half marathoners
- River taxis & trolleys Battleship race start included ($12 value)
- Long sleeved Zorrel blend tech shirts – very durable and great for cool weather running.
- Dinner available onboard the Battleship Saturday evening
- Post race party on the grounds of the Battleship with Papa Johns pizza, adult beverages, vendors and exhibitors
The race includes a fun and challenging 3-bridge half marathon and 10K and an out and back 5K over one bridge. The race starts and finishes at the Battleship North Carolina across the river from downtown Wilmington, NC. Our waterfront was voted best waterfront in America and features a thriving restaurant and craft brewery scene, as well as a beautiful historic downtown area and riverwalk.
The Half Marathon course crosses 2 bridges, goes through historic downtown Wilmington, and tours beautiful Greenfield Lake with the 12-mile mark at the top of the Memorial Bridge – the highest point on the course. The course is challenging for a coastal area race but has produced 8 state records in our 19-year history.
The post-race party on the grounds of the Battleship features Papa Johns pizza, adult beverages for runners, along with other good snacks and drinks, as well as vendors and exhibitors with Battleship race gear. You’ll party beside the Immortal Showboat overlooking the Cape Fear River and downtown Wilmington in Battleship Park!
Form a team with your friends to race for the fastest team (2-deep awards, 5 fastest individual team member times count) or just for the fun of racing with your runnin’ buddies.
NOTE: Teams half marathon only Pace Groups: In the half marathon there will be pace groups starting at a goal finish time of 1:30 and going up to 2:30. Each pace group leader will be a unique and interesting athlete who will do their best to lead you to finish in your goal time. Race Shirts: Shirts are unisex and fit in men’s sizes.RACE DAY SCHEDULE: Sunday, November 4, 20188:00 am – Half Marathon & 10K Start
8:10 am – 5K Start9:10 am – 5K winner awards presentation.
Pick up age group awards the New Balance tent
9:30 am – 10K winners awards presentation
Pick up age group award at the New Balance tent
11:00 am – Half Marathon winner and age awards presentationRiver Taxis and Trolleys TO RACE START:River Taxis depart from in back of the Hilton Hotel and run continuously back and forth all morning. Trolleys run from in front of the Hilton Hotel on Water Street from 6:00 am – 7:45 am. Then from the Battleship from 9: 30 am until 1:00 pm.NOTE – Spectators can take the River Taxis and Trolleys after 7:45 am if all the runners have left the Hilton area heading to the start.
PRE-RACE DINNER ONBOARD THE BATTLESHIP:
You’ll dine on board the Battleship on the mess deck, the same space that brave sailors did in WWII. Dinner is Saturday, Nov 3rd 5:30 – 7:30 pm. It will be an experience you will remember. The food is catered by Middle of the Island. The menu will include penne pasta w/chicken, spaghetti w/meat sauce, salad, a side, Italian bread, sweet tea (It is the South) or water, with brownies for dessert. Adults $20, children under (12) $15, toddlers free. A few dinners will be available for purchase at the registration table at packet pickup. NOTE: When you register, be sure to select the total number of dinners you want for you, your family and friends.
Dinner parking: There is plenty of parking at the ship on Saturday.
Unisex in men’s sizes: Shirts for the Half Marathon are Zorrel long-sleeved tech shirts great for cool weather running with “Half Marathon” sleeve prints. The 10K & 5K long sleeved shirts are heavy cotton. Shirts are guaranteed to everyone registering before October 27th. We will order extra shirts but shirts are not guaranteed if you register after October 27th.
Half Marathon Awards: 3-deep Overall, Masters and age groups. Military Awards go 3-deep M/F Active Duty and Retired Military – (12) Military Awards so stay for the awards. That’s an order!! : )
1st Place M/F Overall, 1st Place Masters and 1st Place Active Duty Military win running shoes courtesy of New Balance of Wilmington.
Age groups: 17 & Under, 18-24, 25-29, 30-34……65-69, and 70+.
10K Awards: Overall and Masters winner awards go 3-deep M/F and 3-deep in Age Groups 0-18, 19-24…. to 70+
5K Awards: 3-deep Overall, 2-deep in Age Groups 0-12, 13-18, 19-24….. to 70+.
Thanks to our 5K Title Sponsor Outdoor Equipped, 5K M/F winners get running shoes from On Running!