Breakfast might be a loose term for this delicious confection, it’s probably more like a dessert but sometimes breakfast needs to be more sweet than savory. This cake is chocked full of blueberries, and the crumb topping is perfection. You can add the icing drizzle for a more luxurious indulgence or to keep it more breakfast “appropriate” you can skip it.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour approximately 9 ounces
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine softened (NOT melted)
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
For the topping:
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup walnuts finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons cold butter or margarine
For the drizzle (optional):
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk more or less to get to a drizzling consistency
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and spray or grease a 9-inch square baking pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, and baking powder. Cut butter into small pieces. Add egg, milk, butter, and lemon peel; mix just until dry ingredients are moistened. The batter will be very thick.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Spread into a greased 9-in. square baking pan.
- For the topping, combine sugar, flour, walnuts, and cinnamon in a mini food processor or bowl. Add butter and process, or cut in if doing by hand, until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 40-45 minutes or until cake is done.
- For the drizzle, combine the powdered sugar and milk. If it’s too thick, add a few drops of additional milk at a time until it reaches drizzling consistency.
- Drizzle over the top of the cake and allow it to sit until the sugar solidifies.
Recipe and photo from AmandasCookin.com
Want More Recipes Like This?