Sometimes the best food combinations can be a little odd—peanut butter and pickles, ice cream and french fries, some things just work. Sweet and savory might make this an unusual combination but trust us, it’s good. Sweet blueberries, maple syrup, and caramelized onions combine with balsamic vinegar, fresh rosemary, and oregano to create a rich savory sauce for this delectable chicken dish. A flavorful combination that may just leave you licking your fingers as well as your plate.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 small white onion thinly sliced
- 2 cups Blueberries, rinsed and stems removed
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- ⅓ cup real maple syrup
- 1 tbsp chopped rosemary
- 1 tbsp oregano
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and butter in a large, heavy, skillet.
- Season chicken with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Add chicken to the pan after butter has melted and is hot and bubbly.
- Sear chicken breasts over medium-high heat until lightly browned.
- Remove from the pan and place in a baking dish, set aside.
- Add remaining olive oil and butter to the skillet,
- Add onions and cook until soft and lightly caramelized, 3- 4 minutes.
- Add blueberries and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in vinegar, maple syrup, rosemary, oregano, and remaining salt and pepper.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes, until blueberries have softened.
- Pour the blueberry balsamic mixture over the chicken and put the baking dish in the oven for about 20 minutes.
- Chicken should no longer be pink in the middle and reach an internal temp of 165 degrees F
Recipe and photo from PureGraceFarms.com
Want More Recipes Like This?
Outer Banks Cookbook: Recipes & Traditions from North Carolina’s Barrier Islands