The last year has been a great time to work on your baking skills and this cake is worth testing those new skills on. It’s a delicious vanilla cake, filled with sweet apples with lots of cinnamon and sugar, and a powdered sugar glaze for an easy and delightful dessert! Even if your baking skills haven’t improved this recipe is simple enough for anyone to make!
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 3/4 cups chopped peeled baking apples
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons cream or milk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Spray a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with nonstick baking spray. Set aside.
- For the cinnamon sugar, in a small bowl, combine the brown sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
- For the cake, in a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, cream the sugar and butter together until light and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla, then add the eggs, one at a time, beating just until each egg is incorporated. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the dry ingredients
and buttermilk to the butter-sugar mixture in the large bowl, alternating back and forth between the two, starting and ending with our and beating on medium speed.
- Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl with a spatula and stir in any unmixed bits of batter.
- For the apples, in another medium bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon. Add the apples and toss until the apples are coated with the cinnamon sugar.
- Add half of the batter to the prepared loaf pan. Add half of the apples in a layer and gently push them down into the batter. Sprinkle half of the cinnamon sugar over the apples.
- Repeat, adding the remaining batter, apples, and cinnamon sugar. Use a skewer to swirl it all together.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, approximately 60 to 65 minutes.
- Mix powdered sugar and cream together in a small bowl until smooth.
- Place cake on a serving platter and drizzle warm cake with icing.
- Slice and serve warm or at room temperature.
Recipe and photo from MissInTheKitchen.com
Want More Recipes Like This?
The Southern Foodways Alliance Community Cookbook