On April 22nd, 2017 join us for the Oak Island Lighthouse 5K, 10k and Half Marathon. Picturesque routes through tree-lined streets, along the beachfront and past the Oak Island Lighthouse. 1/2 Marathon route will include crossing the G.V. Barbee Bridge to Oak Island, twice.
The Oak Island Lighthouse Run & Walk began 17 years ago when Clarence Willie, a Chamber Board member, avid runner and retired U.S. Marine Lieutenant Colonel suggested the Southport-Oak Island Area Chamber of Commerce organize a 10k run/walk. The Chamber Board appointed Clarence Willie the Chair and with great enthusiasm, the first run was held on April 10, 1999.
In 2006, The Oak Island Lighthouse Race under the leadership of Chairman Seth Robbins added the first 5k. This was a popular addition especially for those that didn’t want to tackle the G.V. Barbee Oak Island Bridge.
In 2015, the Chamber resolved to upgrade its efforts and infuse more fun into the event. Phlock to the Beach a Buffett Style Beach Bash moved from August to the same day as the run in April. This benefited the participants of the Oak Island Lighthouse Run as they may enjoy the Phlock to the Beach Concert. In addition to the Phlock event the EAA Wings & Wheels event will also give Oak Island Lighthouse Run participants another event to enjoy while in the area.
In 2016, after record participation in 2015, we outgrew our location and were compelled to move the race from the NC Baptist Assembly @ Fort Caswell to Middleton Park Extension in Oak Island. We added back the 1 Mile Fun Run and a Costume Contest to go with our Jimmy Buffett theme.
Changes for 2017, The Chamber has discontinued the Phlock to the Beach Concert but that doesn’t mean we have taken the fun out of the Oak Island Lighthouse Run. We are keeping all the best things from the Phlock Concert and rolling them into events for the Oak Island Lighthouse Run participants.
- We will have a Friday night Welcome Party at the Cape Fear Yacht Club (location subject to change) with Race Packet Pickup & Registration extended to 8:30pm. A party atmosphere with Band – Soul on the Beach. Food & Drink available -The Seafood Hut Food Truck and full ABC Cash Bar.
- Run or walk in your favorite Parrot Head attire! Come dressed as an island girl, pirate, parrot or any Jimmy Buffett look you choose.
- Added two more divisions for the Half, 10k & 5k awards – Masters(40+) & Grand Masters(50+) Overall Male & Female.
- Arrive early on Saturday and participate in the Chalk Art at the Start from 6:00am-7:15am.
- Expansion of the Costume Contest for the event participants with a flip flop fling, hula hoop contest, Mr. Longitude and Miss Latitude contests. There will be Cash Prizes.
- After your run enjoy your drink tokens and the soothing sounds of Ciprian Santiago Garcia and take part in the contests while waiting for the awards ceremony.
- Half Marathon Finisher Medal is not the typical medal, instead it is a margarita glass with a lanyard for those who want to wear it around their neck. Reflecting our Jimmy Buffett theme.
We strive to make this event safe, fun, and enjoyable for all fitness levels. We hope you agree, the Oak Island Lighthouse 5k, 10k & 1/2 marathon courses showcase the best scenery on the North Carolina Coast. What other course can you see salt marshes, the Atlantic Ocean, wide beautiful beaches, ruins of a historic fort, and have a Lighthouse as a cheerleader – beckoning you to the finish? We hope you will join us and have a great run.
Please check the run website for additional details www.oakislandlighthouserun.com